“Etiquette” is a good and easy word when it comes to pronunciation. But to practice it in real life, we all know that it’s not that easy. The dictionary meaning of the word says “It is the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group”. But in the world of airlines, it’s just Airplane Etiquettes. Proper flying etiquette begins before you even board the plane. Practicing airplane etiquette will help avoid inconvenience to fellow passengers. They cover everything from how to get through security, to whether or not you should recline your seat, to getting off the plane politely and efficiently.
Follow them, and your flight might just be bearable — as long as everyone else does, too.
- Carry your bag in front of you and low to the ground as you walk down the aisle in search of your seat. Holding it up and at your sides, will inevitably knock seated passengers, on their arms, shoulders, and head. You can pull it along if your luggage has wheels.
- Look behind you and be careful when you recline your seat. Consider warning the fellow traveler whose space you are about to invade so that the person behind you can be careful with his/her drink or meal OR adjust his/her laptop.
- Don’t hog the overhead bin. Do not take up someone else’s space by putting your bag in the overhead bin horizontally. Do remember to carry a small hand baggage.
- Middle seat gets the armrests. Unlike the passengers in the aisle or window seat, whoever is in the middle seat has no room to stretch his or her feet or rest his or head. Hence, it is common courtesy to allow the person in the middle to use both the armrests.
- When you are traveling with children, keep a close eye on them, which can make the passenger seated in front very comfortable.
- Be considerate of other passengers when you exit the plane. Resist the urge to push your way out first; let those nearest the exit disembark the plane first.
- Respected personal space while traveling in an aircraft. Not all people are open to socializing on a flight. If a friendly comment gets a minimal answer, take the hint and let them be spared.
- Utilize the overhead storage space above your own seat row. If you take the storage space of other passengers, it can potentially delay departure as they search for storage.
- Seating Etiquette. Keep your seat upright while the plane takes off and lands and also when the food is being served and till everyone has finished eating.
- Help your fellow traveler. Step up and help any person who is struggling with their bags. This will make the boarding process more efficient for everyone.
- Do not ignore safety demonstration by the crew. The safety presentation is for your benefit and the crew is doing their job.
- Avoid grabbing the seat back. When walking down the aisle in an aircraft, it is better to hold the luggage compartments above your head to balance yourselves, rather than grabbing the seat backs.
- Keep your belongings close to yourself. Make sure that you do not spill over your bag or jacket onto the feet of the person sitting next to you.
- Use a neck pillow to sleep while in an airplane. It is best to rest your head on a neck pillow to avoid snoozing on your neighbor’s shoulder.
Air India Express is a low-cost carrier, and we are bound to follow all these etiquettes. These airplane etiquettes will definitely help you and your fellow passengers to have a better flying experience with Air India Express.